I don’t often eat takeaways; I eat out but if I am at home myself or my other half tend to cook. However that is not to say I don’t love an Indian or a Chinese. I do! But they are often laden with calories, and> usually leave me feeling a little bit rubbish! So what do I do when I want a takeaway but want to stay on track, and> not feel crap? I fake it!
Homemade takeaways can be amazing. Therefore I am going to share my homemade chicken curry recipe so you too can fake it! I’m not a qualified dietitian but this recipe uses all fresh ingredients so is much healthier than the takeaway equivalent. Also as I am not a chef or an accomplished cook this is very easy to make.
5 Cloves of Garlic, roughly chopped
50g Fresh Ginger, roughly chopped
2 Teaspoons of Ground Cumin
1 Teaspoon of Fennel Seeds
1 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon of Chilli Powder
1 Teaspoon of Garam Masala
1 Teaspoon of Turmeric
1 Teaspoon of Caster Sugar
400g Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
4-5 Chicken Breasts (Around 650g, cut into bite sized pieces)
250ml Chicken Stock
1. Grate the onion into a bowl, or blend with a small amount of water to make a paste, tip into a small bowl.
2. Grate the ginger, and> crush the garlic, and> mix together into a small bowl.
3. Heat a small amount of coconut oil in a pan (approx. 1 tablespoon). Add the cumin, fennel seeds, cinnamon and> Chilli; allow spices to infuse for approx. 30 seconds.
4. Add the onions and> cook for around 5 minutes, add the garlic and> ginger and> cook for another couple of minutes.
5. Throw in the Garam masala, Turmeric, and> Sugar before tipping in the tomatoes, cook on a medium heat for around 10 minutes.
6. Add the Chicken Chunks and> cook for approx. 5 minutes – stirring occasionally to make sure all the chicken is coated in the sauce.
7. Next add the chicken stock and> simmer for approx. 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
8. Serve with your choice of rice, cauliflower rice or naan bread as an extra treat!
Please let me know if you try this recipe, and> how you find it. You can catch me @ode2fitness on social media.